This is the big question. A friend of mine was recently telling me that it is a bad idea to have a family blog open to the public, but making blogs private is a bit of a pain. Almost everyone I know who has a blog has asked me this question, "is it dangerous or making your family vulnerable?". Caleb is all for making this a private blog, but then we would be excluding legitimate people because we forget to "extend the blog invite" to them. Anyway, I am putting a poll up to get your feedback.
What do you think????
Monday, May 5, 2008
To Exclude or not to Exclude?
Posted by Kathryn Poduska at 12:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I guess I'm not sure of how the info I put on there could be used against me. I've never been stalked, so I'm not very paranoid.
To me, it's not like you are giving out your address and daily schedule. Still, having said that I think you have to do what you and your husband are comfortable with. This would be an interesting topic to do a search on.
Jill
I think it's risky if you have your first and last name, as well as the first and last of your only child.
Consider this: When I type the first and last name for any of you into Google, your blogs are the first two hits.
I'd say 90% of hiring managers do a Google search before extending offers these days.
Are you comfortable with them reading about the video-game expo? If the answer is "Yes, it's who he is," then a public blog is cool. If you think the revelation should wait until after he has the job, then you probably want to go private (or sanitize).
This is one of those questions that brings up a very important topic that I have chosen to ignore. I know. Bad. But have I mentioned how lazy I am? Or how much I am addicted to the (very, very) rare comment I get from someone I do not know that tells me they enjoy something I wrote? I guess in the grand scheme of things this may be a poor idea. But there is something just so un-neighborly about making it exclusive. Plus it may turn out to complicate my life in some way, and I am definately not in the market for that. Plus, I figure we just blend in with all those other Konchars in the greater Denver area. Ha ha.
Okay, Jacki is so insightful. Tell that woman I want to be invited to her blog if it's not private.
I'm struggling with this a bit, too. What to do?
Post a Comment