This is a picture of Finn peacefully sleeping and unaware of just how much fear he caused my poor heart minutes prior. He was doing the climbing and exploring thing that he does so well, and had somehow managed to get hold of a small hershey kiss wrapper... which he proceeded to eat, and hey why not? Its shiny and smells like chocolate. Being in the same room you would think I would have caught this, but I was oblivious until he started choking. It was a relatively brief incident and had resolved not long after I reached his side to remove the offending object (although you wouldn't think something so small would have caused him to choke for as long as he did)... but it took a year or two off of my life.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
My Heart Took a Little Stroll Today
I can't help but wonder how Moms do this. It reminded me of a quote I found a few years ago:
Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
-Elizabeth Stone
It is something I struggle with everyday. There is so much joy in loving someone so much, and consequently there is always an element of fear because loving someone so much makes you vulnerable to any harm or sadness that befalls them. How mothers do it without a strong faith to rely on is totally and completely beyond me.
Posted by Kathryn Poduska at 10:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
hmmmm Just this week Kathryn asked if she was as "active" as Finn. "Worse," I said. "Much worse." Her surprise permeated the living room. "Worse?" "Seriously," I tried to explain, "you put EVERYTHING in your mouth, searched the neighbors' garbage for beer cans (savoring the dregs), ripped yourself away from me when I was busy with sweet little Travis, and tried to choke to death twice daily. Finn is just trying to keep up, My Darling. He has a long way to go.
I love your blog colors. I totally understand how you feel. Right now I'm trying to deal with the fact that Benjamin wants to climb on all the parts of the jungle gym that I can't figure out why they installed in the first place. I'm just waiting for him to fall through the cracks and break his neck or knock all his teeth out! I just wanted to say that I love your cake!! That is beautiful. Coincidentally, I'm trying to decide who actively to pursue a wedding flower business. I started a little blog to showcase past work and write articles about the subject, its Idoflowers.blogspot.com . If I hear of anyone looking for a cake I'll send them your way. Good luck!
um, this is not very nice to do to a soon to be mother who happens to be very hormonal. cute though.
Ben just gave me a choking scare a few days ago. His eyes were watering and he was trying to talk to me but couldn't. He managed to tell me, "I ok mom." just before I was going to start in with the heimlich maneuver. I was debating on whether or not to call 911 first or try to save him myself. That was my scariest choking experience thus far. Tyler had a worse one with Jacob and a carrot. I was fortunately not present for that one. Your cake is beautiful by the way, I had no idea you did cakes!
Post a Comment