A Guide for OBGYNs
Step One: Just three weeks before her c-section date, call her and tell her that she is suddenly too high risk for you to oversee her delivery and that she has to see a different specialized doctor from then on out.
Step Two: Send her to a specialized doctor that is NOTORIOUS for having incredibly bad bed-side manners (but who really is "very brilliant"... or at least thats what everyone says to soften the blow)
Step Three: Oh yeah, make sure she knows that she can no longer deliver at the hospital of her choice. She has to make the trek out for her 3 appointments per week to downtown Fresno (nevermind whether or not she will be able to get that kind of babysitting arranged) and deliver in a completely unfamiliar hospital that can't get her in for a simple tour before her delivery date.
Step Four: Even though she and her husband have arranged everything for a specific c-section date (getting off work/school, getting babysitting figured out, etc) make sure you let her know that she no longer has a c-section date and it is all up in the air until she can see the infamous specialist (and since it has taken 1 1/2 months to make an appointment with him in the past, what are the odds that scheduling a convenient c-section date is going to go very well for her).
Step Five: Don't bother to tell her yourself, just have your assistant call her and completely change her birth plan with a 3 minute phone conversation.
My OBGYN could have written the book on this. I am trying to find the bright side to all of this.... which is that the baby will be well taken care of, and that is the most important thing. If anything were to happen, thats the place you would want to be, but who wants to think that they will need to use those services for their child?! After all the preparation and expectations of it (being cut open is not an easy thing and I have been having to prep myself for it), the sudden changes have completely thrown me for a loop and stressed me out.
So, I have to rearrange me expectations and get my priorities straight: having a successful delivery where the baby and I both make it through safely. I am just going to have to let the irksome details slide by.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
How to completely STRESS OUT a pregnant lady
Posted by Kathryn Poduska at 8:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Oh man, that sounds horrible. I'm sorry they're putting you to so much trouble. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the baby.
I was just getting on to ask you how things were going...so there's my answer...so sorry things are stressful...I think that would be comforting to know you are in the very best hospital...but geez, what a pain! I really hope all goes well and that you have a happy experience...he's going to be a beautiful baby, just like your first! :)
Are you KIDDING me?! I am outraged on your behalf!
Just a thought... myabe you could make Caleb figure this all out for you and then just have him tell you when and where to show up. You're too busy making a baby to deal with this!
Good luck, mama.
I am so sorry, I absolutely hate c-sections and am always freaked out at least a month before and really bad the few days and nights prior to the date. It stinks to have even more on top of that alone. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
"An expecting woman working in the field must deliver between rows of potatoes, but not on the potato plant itself. She may treat herself to a 10 minute break during heavy pushing and a 20 minute break to deliver and bury the placenta, done quickly to discourage local dogs. Wrap the baby in a sack. Continue digging potatoes. Arrange a wet nurse for the following day."
...IDAHO FIELD MANUAL, 1897, compliments of Irene.
this sounds awful!!! I am so sorry you have to go through this.
Oh I am so Sorry! This is Horrible, It will all work out it always does. I can only give you this hope, Chris works out there and says that he loves the staff of the maternity floor, I know its not convienient but it will work out.
That's so goofed up and I wish you'd call those visitiing teacher's of yours and tell them to HELP you when a crisis comes up! Boy those girls....I'm gonna have to find out who they are!
Your mom is awfully funny in these situations. Our love and call asap!
Oh Judy! That is NOT EVEN a quote from an 1897 Idaho field manual! You make us sound like a bunch of ignorant, backwards hicks that are just a step up from cattle in intelligence and value. Seriously, it's gotta be from a less recent manual--1830's probably, 1850's at the latest. We're allowed to birth ON the potato plants now.
I'd give you more sympathy, Kathryn, but unfortunately right now I have to spend a lot of time and energy defending the honor of my homeland.
Oh all you Ryan women--by birth or by marriage, it mattereth not--you make me whistle a happy tune.
I too am outraged on your behalf! And disgusted with the treatment you have received. I am both outraged and disgusted! Perhaps I could write a strongly-worded letter for you?
LAME! I hope things get worked out and you can relax a little. I am excited to go to your shower on Thurs night! Pretty soon this whole making babies thing will be a blur.... I really can't believe that those times are all behind me....When ever I realize that I feel....seriously so happy! ;-)
Post a Comment