Sunday, February 1, 2009

I love it when the villain is a good guy!

I love those movies where the villain, in the end, saves the day and turns out to have been a good guy all along. My experience with the high risk specialist was like those movies. After hearing the ominous stories from nurses and patients alike, I was expecting my appointment to be like meeting Dr. House in real life. Don't get me wrong, the guy is not a chit-chatter kind of guy, but I wasn't feeling in the mood for chit-chat anyway. I wanted answers.

So he sat down with me and went through my medical history and the problems with this current pregnancy, and he did so very thoroughly. After consulting with him, he was convinced that I was in no need of the special services offered out at Fresno and that Clovis Hospital was more than capable of taking care of my special needs.

The best part was that he didn't say "I'll get a message to your doctor"... instead he yelled at his nurse "Get her doctor on the phone!" (which might be why the nurses don't care for this doctor). He immediately got on the phone with my referring doctor, gave him some special instructions with regards to my care and ensured that my c-section date remained the same! Happy Day! He got stuff done, including getting me into another specialized doctor (that is not pregnancy related) that I have been waiting months to try to get into. At the end of it all, he looked at me and asked if there was anything he was missing. I felt like I was disappointing him in that everything had already been taken care of by that point... he was ready to do some more problem solving.

Long story short, everything has resolved and we feel very blessed to have so many doctors looking after the welfare of me and the baby to come. And thank you to all of the people praying for us throughout this pregnancy.

5 comments:

The Gage Cage said...

AWESOME!!!!!!

Julie K said...

Yay! I just had a similar experience (on a much more insignificant scale) with Josie and a new dr at our usual practice. The dr just looked at me when the appointment was all over and said "well isn't this serendipitous!". Small niggling questions I have had for a while were answered and a game plan set up--and we had come in for a completely different reason all together!
Anyway, I am so glad to hear that Calvin will still have a birthday buddy, for your sake!

kelly said...

WooHoo!

Suzanne said...

I could kiss him!!

I love that it appears people don't like him because he gets stuff done, therefore making them look a little less efficient. How dare he?!

This makes me so happy, lady. I can't wait to see you Thursday night!

TNIRYAN said...

Let the mountains rejoice and the hills break forth into singing. I wonder what that would sound like . . .